Friday, February 5, 2010

A Voice

Being a patient advocate is one of my favorite roles as a nurse. The current medical system can resemble an assembly line. Patients get passed from one doctor to another. They often hear and retain just a portion of what the provider says to them. In many cases, they feel intimidated and don't ask questions. They don't understand that they always have options. Speaking up for patients can be a slippery slope to navigate. I don't want to bring distrust and confusion into the patient's relationship with their care provider, but I do want to empower people to be a partner in their care. I want them to know they have a right to be treated in ways that match the values and goals they have for their life.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! By the way, I'm sooooooo excited to get to be your first follower! I love that your are writing this as you are the epitome of a caring nurse!

    I'm tweeting and facebooking this. You've been discovered!

    ReplyDelete